Questions about NaNoWriMo

I just joined the NanoWrimo website. I know National Novel Writing Month isn't until November but I felt like joining now. Of you're on there, add me. My name is PaigeW (like inkpop).


I'm just really confused on how it all works. They sent me that giant email like they promised and I still don't understand. I know you must reach 50,000 words to "win". But my question is..


Say I wanted to use a story I already started, like Flawed for example. Which only has about 9,500 words currently. Could I use that novel to try and reach 50,000 with it?


OR.. do I need to start clean off at ZERO words on a whole new story in November? That's where I'm confused. So if anyone knows and could let me know, I'd really appreciate it.


And what are those region things they're talking about? Does where I live determine the writing region I'm in? GAH.


And what is the GiftTool URL?


I want to be prepared this year, that's why I'm asking these things now. Please if any of you know answers to my questions, please leave comments! Remember to add me on there! I need writing buddies :)